Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Can I Get Some Props? (A few Works-In-Progress - Pt01)

A creator of online 3D comics has been chatting with me off and on for a while now, and I have offered to model 3D props for more unique items.  I've already made a few props for the comic, and these are a few of my recent Works-In-Progress for it.  First is the Shield Emitter (it is a Sci-Fi comic after all)  Terri did an awesome job with the original design of the shield emitter, but based on the description of the technology, I felt that the original design was too rough and"blocky" when the society that uses the shield was described as sleek, sterile, and technologically advanced.  For me, "sleek" technology is rounded, soft-edged, and almost plasticine.  It also didn't help that the original design looked too much like the detachable bridge of the Starship Enterprise in a lot of ways.

After being told the the device is roughly the size of a pack of cigarettes, and that it hangs from the belt, it made sense to try to minimize the clutter of the interface, while trying to keep all the important elements intact.  Then I fired up Modo 601 and started working.  While this image is still a WiP (I have a few related projects going on right now, so I switch between them to keep them fresh) I decided to share it to get input and comments/crits.  It still has some development it needs to go through, but the shape is essentailly how I envisioned it.

You can take a look at Hale's webcomic here:  http://datachasers.thecomicseries.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment